September –December, 2106
Community Development Events
- Saturday, September 3rd-yard sale located in the parking lot behind the Renasant Bank downtown location. It might be a good time to place items in the front of your store(if you have any sale items). If this continues to peak interest, we will carry this event through November and start back up in March, 2017.
- The courthouse will have fall decorations on the 4 corners and I hope to have this in place by mid September and it will stay until the end of October.
- Lindsey Bell, Mississippi Magazine will be in town (tentatively August 30th) to discuss ads for November/December issue of Mississippi Magazine. The cost can be paid over a 3month period(see attached rates and sizes). I took an ad out for September/October issue highlighting the Fall Festival. I also will take an ad out in November/December issue focusing on Christmas Open House, Tree Lighting ceremony and Christmas Parade. These ads were offered by Mississippi Main Street and the rate is the same as you are being quoted.
- Saturday, October 15th, 2016 from 10-3 –the 4th annual Fall Festival. This year we will feature a demonstrating artisan, Lyle Wynn( member of the Mississippi Arts Commission). He will demonstrate the artistry of blacksmithing as well as selling that day. There will be local artisans selling that day also. We will have a display of antiques tractors and putting the finishing touches on blue grass music that day. Again another good day to place sale items in front of your store.
- Monday, October 31st(Halloween) let’s add a new twist to the Safety Parade with a carnival, “Boo Fest.” I encourage each store and/or business to have a booth set up that day(such as bean toss, go fishing, etc) and let the children win prizes or candy. I am proposing that we use the inside lane around the Courthouse (which will be blocked off) or Madison Street starting in front of Rib Alley(also blocked off). A good source for prizes or candy are your local dollar stores or Oriental Trading online. I feel that we can secure additional manpower from the Mayor’s Youth Council as well as those high school clubs that need hours for manning booths. You may have teenagers of your own or may know some that you would like to engage to work your booth. Please let this office know by September 30th, 2016 if you wish to participate. For name recognition, you could place a sign on or near your booth. For those of you who do not wish to provide a booth, candy distribution by your storefront will still be very much in demand. The time is 3:30-5pm.
- Christmas Open House is Sunday, November 6th. The hours are 1-5.
- Thursday, December 1, 2016 @5:30 Tree Lighting Ceremony(details will follow).
- Monday, December 5th, 2016 is the Christmas Parade starting @6:30. The Theme is The Songs of Christmas. Please consider theming your display window with your favorite song of the Christmas Season.
FYI: On the internet type in distrx and choose the location Kosciusko and you will recognize stores from this area. This was a mock up done by distrx; you can engage their services for $10.00 monthly and make pertinent changes. Distrx will place a beacon at the Visitor’s Center to encourage people to travel to your destination. This is an app on the smart phone. This office is only making you aware of this service; feel free to check on this app further.
Any question or concerns, please call: